Pages

Wednesday 4 July 2018

Boat Bag for Dad

Hi! I've been making a bag for my Dad over the last couple of weeks, and we finished it at the weekend. It was very much a joint project! It's a bag for him to take on his sailing trips, to keep all his wash stuff in when he goes to use the showers at whichever marina they have stopped at that night, I found some suitably boaty fabric, and my Dad chose natural cork to go with it. The cork is easy to clean, and I've treated the cotton fabric with Scotchgard, inside and out. There's an inside zip pocket, to keep keys, etc.

I stitched the main bag, and then together we made the holes for the eyelets at the top, and set the eyelets, using tools my Dad made on his lathe. We used some of his boat rope to fasten the bag, and added a D-ring at the base of the bag for the rope to clip onto. I wasn't sure how to fix the rope ends onto the hook, but my Dad was in his element, showing off his splicing skills, plaiting the rope ends back into itself!

I'm really pleased with how this one turned out, and it was nice that it was a joint project! My Dad seems happy with it, too :)







 Splicing in progress...





This bag is based on the Natalie Bucket Bag, but we changed it so that the rope fastens at the bottom of the bag, instead of there being an additional strap on the sides.


Fabric:
Natural cork
Decor Fabric Twill Segelspaß – cream/red, from My Fabrics
Lining: Vintage Nautical Notions, from the Little Fabric Shop


2 comments:

Dawn Phillips said...

That's such a lovely project. You and your dad are very talented. Love Dawn x

Debbie said...

just fab - great model to